For a given registry server, a "crate" is identifiable by its name, which is unique to the crate registry. Each Shipyard.rs organization is its own registry server in this sense; if organization A publishes crate "abc", it will not prevent organization B from also publishing a crate that is named "abc".
Shipyard.rs enforces the same rules as Crates.io regarding valid crate names:
Cargo itself allows names with any alphanumeric, -, or _ characters. crates.io imposes its own limitations, including the following:
- Only allows ASCII characters.
- Only alphanumeric, -, and _ characters.
- First character must be alphabetic.
- Case-insensitive collision detection.
- Prevent differences of - vs _.
- Under a specific length (max 64).
- Rejects reserved names, such as Windows special filenames like "nul".